Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Update of current thoughts

I feel like the presentation we had was not concrete enough. I mean, we have collected a lot of data, and will continue to collect more data... but I guess I'm just going to be honest in acknowledging that we did in fact kind of put together our presentation late and were not very prepared in organizing everything that we said and everything that we were supposed to say. It wasn't until after I sat down at my seat that it dawned on me that I didn't talk about some of the other specifics during our interview... like the book by Paul Humann that the divers use as a Bible for reference of information on fish species.

Or how I should have briefly mentioned how the divers train for the REEF test, like basically looking at the pictures that they have taken while underwater and then using those pictures to look it up in THE book (Paul Humann's book that is).

Our presentation in bulk was a lot about what SDOF is and how it works, which is important to understanding how the organization works so that we know the context of what our project is trying to do... which is enhancing how the organization present information for its members/volunteers/divers and help train and quiz them to pass the REEF test that they all have to take.

We also forgot to present about the structure of the tests they have to take... like the multiple levels that the divers achieve. E.G., Herb is a level 4 diver... which means he successfully identified at least 100 species in a test based on just the presentation picture of the species and then correctly writing out the name... which is another important aspect of data... is that how the divers take their test! They are shown an overhead/projector picture of a type of fish species or any other marine animal, and they have to write down the name.

That particular data of knowing how they take the test provides that we know how to design a system in helping them quiz themselves and train for the test: should we include strict spelling correctness during the quiz... how would multiple choice work without giving too much information away about what species they are looking at? ... stuff like that.

I feel like there was so much more we could have said during our presentation, and the above stated is just a short list of examples of some of the things I forgot to talk about and now wish I talked about... yahh... I really want our final presenation to have more detail and be more comprehensive and that I have practiced and gone over the slides so I don't miss presenting crucial information like today.

I'm not saying that we had a horrible presentation, but just I feel like we could have included a lot more in it than we did.

Ok, i'm done babbling!

-Ray

1 comment:

Martin Tall said...

I agree, the presentation we did today reflect mainly the data we've collected 1-2 of weeks back and not what we learned recently from the new interviews.

However, the presentation is in the past now.. lets focus on whats coming up. Consolidation. Prototyping. Training session. Meeting next Tuesday.

It's not going to come into place by it self.